Get Help Now:

F-1 Visa

For foreign students who want to study in the U.S.

F-1 Visa | Academic Students

Serving San Antonio, Austin and McAllen, Texas

What is an F-1 Visa?

The F-1 “foreign student” visa applies to foreign nationals who wish to travel to the United States for the purposes of pursuing a course of academic study. F-1 visa holders may study at an accredited college, university or arts conservatory within the United States. They may also attend classes at non-vocational high schools. Qualifying relatives like spouses and certain dependent children may accompany F-1 visa holders during their periods of study. These individuals must obtain F-2 visas before entering the country.


The F-1 visa program has several key benefits. First, F-1 visa holders may remain in the United States until the termination of their studies. For instance, F-1 visa holders who have entered a four-year program of study at a U.S. university are permitted to stay on U.S. soil for that entire period of time. In addition, foreign students may travel freely throughout the United States during their visas’ active periods. They may also travel to their home countries to visit their relatives. Most foreign students may secure part-time jobs through their educational institutions. Those who can meet a defined “economic hardship” threshold may be able to obtain other forms of employment as well. Finally, F-1 visa holders who remain in good standing may apply for H-1B work visas at the conclusion of their programs of study. Get a complete explanation of this visa’s benefits by speaking to a qualified F-1 visa lawyer.


F-1 visa applicants must fulfill several important requirements. These include:

  • Demonstrating their intent to return home after the visa’s expiration
  • Providing proof of independent financial means or external support
  • Certifying that their primary residence is in their home country
  • Demonstrating familiarity with spoken and written English

Applicants who do not meet all of these criteria may be unable to apply for an F-1 visa. To find out if you qualify, contact a F-1 visa lawyer today.


The F-1 visa has a few unfortunate drawbacks. Applicants cannot obtain these visas without demonstrating that they are enrolled in a course of study at a recognized institution. In addition, they must enroll in the Student Exchange and Visa Program for the duration of their stay in the United States. This can add an additional layer of bureaucracy to the F-1 visa application process. Finally, F-1 visa holders cannot take academic “breaks” of longer than five months.

How We Can Help

The compassionate F-1 visa lawyers at the Gutierrez Law Firm are strong believers in the uniting power of education. For this reason, we are committed to helping those who wish to obtain “foreign student” visas. We can provide guidance, advice and support throughout the entire application process. It is our hope that our efforts will put the minds of our foreign-national student clients and their parents at ease during a stressful transitional period.

Call the Gutierrez Law Firm‘s F-1 visa attorneys at 210.225.7114 to begin your process of obtaining a student visa.

Free Consultation Call Now!