Get Help Now:


Renewing Your Non-Immigrant Worker Visa

Posted by Gutierrez Law Firm on April 24, 2013

One of the quickest ways to legally immigrate to the United States is to apply for a temporary non-immigrant work visa. Regardless of the visa classification, a non-immigrant visa allows a foreign worker to remain in the United States for a designated period of time. The recipient of a temporary work visa must then leave the U.S. or apply for a renewal.

A temporary non-immigrant worker must renew his work visa prior to the expiration date indicated on a valid I-94 card. Immigration officials provide every temporary non-immigrant worker with an I-94 card that provides the following essential information:

  • Name
  • Status
  • Status expiration date

Temporary workers who apply for their visa while outside the United States will receive their I-94 card from a U.S. Borders and Protection (CBP) officer when they enter the country. Anyone who applies for a work visa while in the United States under the provisions of another visa will receive their card from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). The card will be sent by mail along with the I-797 approval notice.

An application to extend a temporary work visa must be received in the mail by the USCIS prior to the expiration date indicated on the I-94 card. Immigration officials will not consider an application after a work visa has officially expired, even if the application is postmarked prior to the expiration date. Temporary workers should complete USCIS Form I-129. The supporting documents that accompany a visa extension application will depend upon the specific classification of visa to be renewed. Visa renewal applications often include the following supporting documentation:

  • USCIS filing fee
  • Signed Form I-129 and visa classification supplements
  • Signed offer of employment confirmation letter from employer
  • Proof of continued eligibility for the classification of worker visa being renewed
  • Proof of current employment by the sponsoring employer
  • Copies of current I-94 card, previous USCIS approval notices and any previous visas

Anyone wishing to extend a non-immigrant visa is advised to consult with an experienced immigration attorney. While some visa classifications can be extended indefinitely (O and E visas), other classifications come with specific time frames and limitations. An attorney can also explain the exceptions that may allow a foreign worker to remain in the United States.

For trustworthy and effective legal representation, contact the Gutierrez Law Firm at 210.225.7114.

Free Consultation Call Now!